Thursday, June 24, 2010

ENOUGH TWILIGHT!!


Was anybody else as gobsmacked as I was when Twilight beat The Hangover in this year's MTV movie awards? I remember being in school and talking to two girls (before Twilight was HUGE), and they were discussing the book, I asked them what they were talking about, and they replied "Twilight." They gave me a look of horror when I told them that I had no idea what Twilight was. "How do you live? Twilight is the best thing in the world!" I can imagine them now, marking down the days on their Twilight calendar's, waiting for the next movie to come out. Anyways, I just shrugged it off and continued on with my life.
Having forgotten all about it, Twilight slowly became popular, and soon girls all over the school (nerds, and cool kids included) were gabbing about Edward and Bella. Some people even went as far as having Twilight themed birthday cakes, and naming their new puppies after the characters. Being as stubborn as I am, I refused to crack open the book until I received it from my aunt as a Christmas gift. She claimed that it was a good read, and not wanting to disappoint her at the next family gathering I began to read. Not long after that I was at Chapters purchasing the rest of the Saga. It's not because I genuinely cared about the characters, it was more of an itch of curiosity that I had to scratch. I remember putting down the last book, letting out a big sigh. I was disappointed with the ending, yet relieved that I had finished, and was finally free.
Little did I know that Twilight would only get bigger. With the release of the movie I didn't intend to see it. But low and behold, my brother brought it home one day, and since we wanted to stay in and have a family night, we opened a bag of chips and sat in front of the television. Not long after the credits my dad was snoring, his head rolled back, and my mother was already looking around, with something else on her mind. None of us were interested in the movie. I for one was angry that it was nothing like the book. How could they take something so beautifully written and turn it into this?! I asked myself. (I will admit, that I did like the first book.) The movie basically used the characters, and made their own story with those characters. My mother ended up leaving and not watching the full thing, and my brother and I were constantly looking at the clock, wondering when the movie would end. When it finally did end I was happy and announced that I would not be seeing any of the other Twilight movies. That I was finally done. Curiosity, had finally killed that cat (In this case, five lives).

I enjoy the way Stephanie Meyer wrote the first book. I liked it so much, I read every word printed in it. And I think that helped fuel my addiction, because I noticed that she likes the same music that I like, particularly the band "Brand New." I am a person who enjoys words, and prefers the book version to the movie version (in most cases, I guess it depends if I see the movie first, or read the book first), but I love to visualize what words describe. In my opinion, movies cannot express emotion, and certain beauties that words can make you experience.

Okay, enough ranting for one day,
Bye, bye lovelies,
xo Megan =)

No comments: